Waterproofing your basement is a big step and it’s difficult to know which waterproofing technique to employ. We’ll discuss the two primary sorts of waterproofing in this blog: internal and external. Both have advantages and drawbacks, which we will evaluate.
Basement waterproofing is critical because it will help safeguard your property from water damage. Water damage can be pricey to repair, and it might also lead to serious health issues as mold can form. It’s critical to pick the appropriate sort of basement waterproofing for your home so that you’re certain that your basement is safe.
For internal waterproofing, the walls and floors of your basement are waterproofed to seal them from moisture. If you want to avoid any significant excavation in your basement, this is a wonderful alternative from the external method. Sealants, paints, and membranes are all viable options for internal waterproofing. Internal basement waterproofing is a popular option because it is both inexpensive and simple to execute.
Internal basement waterproofing has some drawbacks, however.
- Internal basement waterproofing can cause structural damage to your foundation walls if not properly installed or maintained over time.
- Internal basement waterproofing can also trap moisture and humidity in your basement, which can lead to mold and mildew problems.
External basement waterproofing is the process of sealing the exterior of your home to keep water out. To prevent water from seeping into your basement, an external barrier must be built. A trench is dug around your property’s perimeter and your foundation is lined with waterproofing materials. This method is very effective but it can be pricey and time-consuming. However, it does a great job at preventing water from entering your foundation by sealing the outside surface.
External basement waterproofing is a more expensive option, but it does have many benefits:
- External basement waterproofing is the most effective way to waterproof your basement
- External basement waterproofing will last longer than internal basement waterproofing
- External basement waterproofing is a good option for homes with a history of water problems
No matter which type of basement waterproofing you choose, it’s important to have it installed by a professional. Waterproofing your basement can be a big job and you want to make sure that the job is done correctly. The professionals at Windsor Waterproofing have years of experience and can make sure that your basement is waterproofed properly. If you have questions regarding basement waterproofing, give us a call. We would be happy to help you with your waterproofing needs.